The Consultation and Design Process
Our aim is to make this an enjoyable experience for you and to bring the dreams you have for your property to life...
The first stage to creating a fine garden and landscape is to find out what you are looking for in your outdoor spaces. Many of our clients don’t know exactly what they are looking for; our role is to help you to discover your dream through our consultation process. Our first meeting is an enjoyable time where we discuss your needs, provide great ideas and you too can contribute by bringing whatever ideas you have.
- Your lifestyle requirements are our first priority and we work with you to deliver what you want. We create custom designed gardens tailored to your needs.
- We create gardens that reflect your style choices and personality.
- We design the plants/ornaments that you love that make it yours and reflect your personality.
- You have as much or as little input as you desire.
The next stage is to commence the design process. The final result of which we will prepare a professional Computer Aided Design (CAD) Landscape Design and Planting Schedule for your property.
- We will come to your property, check measurements from your house plan and draw in any of the renovations or changes that you may have had since the last drawing of your property.
- At this time we will photograph your property so that we can view the various aspects of the existing site, seeing it from the many angles that you and your neighbours see it.
- Your landscape and garden design will be developed by Yvonne & her team, who will create your new and wonderful garden design from those pictures, using the ideas that were discussed from the information supplied in our first meeting.
- We will present to you 3 copies of the design (in plan view)
- Elevation views are also available.
- Any changes required will be discussed at the consultation and the design will be ammended accordingly.
Your design will take approximately 3-4 weeks to complete. On completion we will call you and arrange an appointment to present your design to you. Yvonne’s consultative design process means that in most cases, your design when presented will be for the most part a completed design. Of course there may be minor changes required to finalise the design to your requirements. Yvonne will make up to 3 hours of modifications to the design at no additional design fee charge.
If major changes are required from the original consultation briefing, normal design fee rates will apply.
Construction of your Landscape & Garden ( provided by others)
The construction phase is the ‘business end' of the total process where the construction of the landscape and garden takes place.
Wells Design are specialists in Landscape Design, Horticulture and Consultancy. We do not construct gardens as part of our business, however, we have very close and long running associations with a number of highly reputable landscaping businesses and suppliers. Our business is built on referrals from customers and associates so that we can provide you with completely independent advice and recommendations.
The Landscape Construction Process
The landscape construction process is detailed and involves many processes and various trades are utilised. We have outlined this process below for information purposes.
- Site clearing – removal of trees, foliage, and grass as required. A professional arbourists takes great care to remove unwanted trees and foliage efficiently and without damage
- Excavation – removing waste fill and shaping the area for landscaping using bobcats and excavators according to the size of the project. In many cases, soils are brought onto the site at this stage for future distribution.
- Drainage – A critical and much overlooked step in ensuring a property that drains well to keep plants and lawns in top condition and to prevent water build up on structures. PVC agricultural drainage is utilised in sub soil trenches with geo filter to prevent clogging and drainage screenings prior to the free draining soil being distributed.
- Hardscaping & construction - this is usually the most complex and time consuming process where paving and paving drainage, retaining walls and wall drainage, edging, rockeries, water features and ponds etc are constructed and in some cases brick walls, gates, decks, pergolas and carports. Once these processes are complete, the landscape and outdoor space starts to take its final shape and provides the canvas for the garden to be created upon.
- Soils – premium grade soils with added soil conditioner are used to ensure robust plant /turf growth, to create full garden beds and to give plants the nutrients they require.
- Irrigation – another critical issue is providing the correct amount of water to meet the plants and lawn needs. In these times of water conservation, it is even more important to install compliant systems that can be automatically controlled in order to comply.
- Garden construction – an often neglected area but one critical to the ongoing development of a beautiful rich landscape. Wells Design's extensive horticultural knowledge and expertise is employed at this stage working with the contractors to ensure that the final design is reflected in the garden and that all plants and turf are properly planted, staked and mulched to maximise growth.
- Plants and turf – you need to be assured that your plants are of the highest quality standards. Wells Design supply only premium plants from the best growers and our own nursery. We recommend a range of fine turf grasses and blends available depending upon your requirements and the site aspects.
- Garden Lighting can transform a garden at night. Whether it is a simple highlighting of some feature trees, path lighting or pond lighting. There is no doubt that well designed garden lighting, will provide an outdoor space that can be used and appreciated at any time of the day or night. Wells Design will put together a lighting design on your landscape design, to suit your needs and budget.
- Understanding your garden, after care and ongoing maintenance- once the project is complete Wells Design can provide coaching in the care of your landscape, plants and turf to get the best results.
Timeline: An estimate of duration of construction, depending upon complexity and size of property will be provided by the Landscape Construction professional in order to allow you the opportunity to prepare for the project.